For over 30 years, PA has provided economic advisory and business strategy services to the energy sector. PA offers deep subject matter expertise to identify, understand and articulate risks and opportunities, and assess their impact on market participants.
PA's deep industry insight is sought out by utilities, power producers, oil and gas producers, midstream companies, governments, regulators, financial investors, banks and law firms.
We help solve some of our clients' most critical economic and strategic business challenges. Our economic advisory and business strategy work spans regulatory planning and optimisation, M&A advisory, asset valuation and appraisal, market design and audit, and expert testimony.
In the last two years, our energy economic experts have:
- advised on and supported the purchase and sale of power assets worth over $10 billion
- evaluated more than 75GW of power assets
- audited the operation of electricity markets that annually settle in excess of AUS $4 billion
- advised the UK Government and energy investors on policies to encourage £110 billion of new low carbon energy and transmission investment
- supported the acquisition and divestiture of natural gas, crude oil and NGL assets and E&P companies worth over $7 billion.
We bring a deep understanding of market fundamentals, practical realities and business strategy across the entire energy value chain, including: oil, natural gas, coal, power, renewables, oil and gas midstream, liquefied natural gas (LNG), natural gas liquids (NGL), carbon and other emission allowances, electric transmission, electric and gas distribution and customers.
We also understand the market interrelationships between physical and financial assets and how they impact on business strategy including: reserves and production, midstream assets, thermal and renewable power plants, power and fuel contracts, transmission lines and capacity.
Some of our experience includes:
- New England Power Generators Association – provided an economic evaluation of the impacts of a proposed transmission project to import power from Canada into the US.
- Independent power producer – provided expert testimony in support of their regulatory intervention into their primary customer's proposed energy resources plan.
- Multiple transmission developers – analysed the economic costs and benefits of proposed transmission projects designed to move over 5GW of wind and other renewable energy to market.
- Independent Electricity System Operator of Ontario – ensuring the smooth launch of Ontario's enhanced day-ahead electricity market
- Large private equity firm - provided strategic advice regarding a billion-dollar investment in a portfolio of US power generation assets.
- Malaysian government – improving the performance of Malaysia's energy sector
- Western Australia – guarantee competition and reliability of supply within a billion-dollar electricity market.
To find out more about our economic advisory and business strategy experience in the energy sector, please contact us now.